You might be wondering if piercings are itchy, whether you are thinking of getting them done or if you already have them. You may also be concerned about possible side effects such as infection or allergies to metals. There are many things you can do to prevent itching and protect your piercings against infection.
Despite all of the blustery claims that nickel is a good conductor of heat and a good conductor of cold, the truth is that nickel can be a major cause of allergic reactions. Known as nickel dermatitis, it can be caused by any number of factors, from the mere presence of nickel to a nickel allergy. Its symptoms include itching and redness, rashy skin, and blisters.
Nickel is a hard-metal and can be found in many products. Some of these items include electronic devices and jewelry. It is a good idea, especially if your allergy to nickel is severe, to use gloves when handling cash. A protective cover is also recommended for jewelry. You could also get a plastic cover to protect your earring studs.
Opting for a nickel-free jewelry line is the best way to reduce nickel exposure. If you do decide to wear nickel-containing jewelry, ensure that you only purchase high-quality pieces. The best way to ensure this is to buy only from reputable retailers.
Luckily, there are many products on the market designed to help prevent nickel from causing allergic reactions. The European Nickel Directive is one of the most effective, as it limits nickel exposure from jewelry.
Other metals include silver, gold, and stainless steel. Surgical grade stainless steel may contain a small amount of nickel but it’s unlikely to cause an allergic reaction unless nickel plated.
Allergy to gold
Gold allergy is not treatable like other skin allergies. However, it can be managed by applying over-the-counter corticosteroid creams. These creams can reduce itching and redness caused by jewelry containing gold.
Although allergic reactions to gold are more common in women than in men, they can also occur in both sexes. The symptoms can vary from mild to severe, with the most common clinical presentations occurring on the eyelids, neck, and face. Some people can avoid the symptoms of gold allergy by wearing hypoallergenic jewelry. Others have to avoid all things gold.
Allergies to gold usually occur in individuals who have a family history of metal allergies. People with allergies to nickel or zinc are also more likely to develop allergies to gold.
The allergy to gold can be hard to diagnose. Itching, redness, swelling, and other symptoms can occur. These symptoms can appear shortly after exposure to the jewelry, or they can develop after a longer period of time.
Gold allergies are most likely caused by nickel. Some people are allergic to brass and other metals. Avoid metals that can trigger allergy such as silver. Using hypoallergenic jewelry is the best way to prevent nickel allergies.
If you have a nickel allergy, you should remove your jewelry before showering and wash your hands. Apply a cool compress to your skin to reduce the itching. You may need stronger medication depending on the severity of your reaction.
Earring backs that are too tight against the earlobe
Whether you have had earlobes pierced or not, you should be aware of how earring backs work. Some designs may be too tight for your earlobes, or may not fit. You also may want to buy earring backs that are made from materials that are hypoallergenic.
Perforated ears are delicate. Your earlobes need a good blood supply, and you can increase your risk of infection by wearing earrings that are too tight. This can lead to earlobe irritation and infection, but there are things you can do to minimize this.
Earring backs are available that won’t irritate your ears and can help prevent infection. The best backs will grip your earring securely, and allow adequate air circulation.
There are many earring backs out there. A jumbo back is the best and can be used to fix drooping earrings. A screw back is another option. These are more complex, but should fit your ears properly.
Hypoallergenic earring backs are also available in silicone and rubber. These are not as durable as metal earringbacks, but they will keep the backing from getting in your ear.
There are also specialty earring backs available that will keep your earrings supported all day. These are a great way to prevent earlobe bending, which can lead to earlobe pulling. These earring backs are made from a gold or silver material, which is hypoallergenic.
Migrating piercings because of sleeping on it
Whether it’s a new piercing or an old one, the migration of the tiniest piercing can be a painful experience. However, this is not always the case. It’s possible to keep your new piercings stable for years to come. Keep the area clean and dry, especially for those with heavy metal skin types.
There are several possible causes of migration. Your body may react to the metal in your skin by rejecting it or causing it to swell up. Other causes include illness and medications. In either case, it’s important to consult with your doctor about the best course of action.
Obviously, there are no guarantees, but it is possible to keep your piercings looking their best. It doesn’t matter if it’s a new or old piercing, a little care will make a big difference. You may have to change your post length, and shorten your piercing to get the best look possible. If your piercing has been migrated, you may need to replace it with something heavier.
Although piercings may not have immediate effects, it is a good idea for some fun. Having some light hearted fun can help you forget about your piercing for the moment. You might also like to buy some jewelry to wear while you are at it. Getting a piercing is fun, but it can be painful at times.
Cleaning the piercing site
Itching can be reduced by taking care of your piercings properly. Your body heals a puncture quickly, but improper care can cause an abnormal itch. You’ll want to avoid harsh products that may dry out or irritate your piercing.
You can also apply a solution of saline to your piercing. This can help eliminate the bacteria that may have built up. To clean your piercings, you can also use a cottonball soaked in the solution.
You can also apply antibiotic ointment to your piercing. This can prevent infection and protect your piercing from oxygen. You should be aware that antibiotic ointment can cause skin irritations.
Another trick is to put a small piece of gauze over your piercing. This will prevent the piercing from being forced to move while you clean it. You can also use a q-tip to clean the piercing.
Your piercing should be cleaned at least twice daily. A piercer may recommend a mild liquid soap or lathering your jewelry for thirty to sixty seconds.
If you have an infected piercing, use a saline solution to help clean it. You should also rinse the piercing thoroughly after cleaning.
You should not use alcohol- or dye-laden soap to clean your piercings. You should also avoid perfumed soaps. Alcohol is also known to dry out your skin, which can cause itching.
Treating an infection
Whenever you have a piercing, it’s important to know how to treat an infection. The best way to prevent infections is to wash your piercing daily with a gentle cleanser. You can also treat your piercing by applying an antibiotic ointment. This ointment is available without a prescription.
You can also prevent infections by avoiding contact with irritants. Piercings can become infected when people touch the piercing without using sterile tools. Avoid jewelry that contains metals known to cause allergic reactions.
If you’ve recently pierced your ears, you might be feeling the first symptoms of a piercing infection. These symptoms include itching and swelling. The skin around the piercing can also become red and tender. If your symptoms do not improve after a few days, you should see your doctor.
A small amount of pus may be visible at the site where you pierce. This is not always a sign that you have an infection. Exposure to bacteria or other contaminants is usually what causes a piercing infection. If the infection becomes severe, it is important to administer antibiotics.
Infections can happen in any part of your body, but they are more common in areas with low blood supply. These infections are difficult to treat, and they may require hospitalization.
An ear piercing injury can cause swelling, redness, pain, and itching. You should call your doctor if you experience severe pain, fever, or a discharge.
I’m Gillian. I love piercings and tattoos- there’s something about the way they make your body look that just makes me happy. I started this blog to share my passion for piercings and tattoos with the world and to help people who are thinking of getting their first piercing or tattoo.
I’ve been writing about piercings and tattoos for a while now on piercings-body.com. I love sharing my knowledge with others and helping people make informed decisions about their bodies.